I have discovered the ONLY shop I will ever shop at for Scouts again – Drifters.
- Their prices are the BEST I have found – they undercut the ‘recommended retail price’ on almost everything (e.g. their First Ascent Venus backpack is R400 cheaper than I have found in some other retailers). The sleeping bag, torch, clothing etc I bought were all about 15% cheaper than elsewhere.
- The Staff actually use the equipment and so can advise from personal experience.
- They know their products very well (and even the specs of brands they don’t stock e.g. they knew the weight, comfort rating, history behind a competitors sleeping bag I asked about).
- They only stock items that are proven to work well (e.g. Shaun pointed out, people they supply are going on expeditions that cost R60,000 – they can’t afford to have inferior quality equipment).
- They won’t sell you something that isn’t right for you (e.g. I was willing to buy a backpack, but they said no, it was the wrong back length for my child & would cause tiring)
- they also stock Osprey equipment
I can’t sing DRIFTERS praises enough!
Cape Quarter Lifestyle Village, Shop A03, 27 Somerset Road, Green Point
Tel: 021 418 4511 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check them out here on Facebook.
P.S. They offer a good discount to Mountain Club members and are prepared to do the same for Scouts if they know about us. So let them know you are a Scout when you next go shopping!