In 1952, the stage and basement extension to the hall was added at a cost of 900 pounds. The stage originally had a wooden shingle roof, but in 1964 it caught fire, probably because of sparks from a fire in refuse nearby. Some of the roof timbers are still charred. Fortunately the fire was not too severe, and the Hall survived. For many years ‘Scout Shows’ were held in our hall, the most recent being in 1987.
1st Claremont: 1950-1959
Permanent link to this article: https://1stclaremont.org.za/our-history/1950-1959/