Return to History

George Peake “Rama”

George Peake, known as “Rama”, had a major role in the history of 1st and 2nd Claremont. The photo above shows George Peake with the “Claremont Troop” in 1928. The article below is from “SONS”, a magazine published by the Claremont and District Boy Scouts in 1963.

Asst. Dist. Com. (Wolf Cubs) C.W.8

Joined the Movement as a Boy Scout, in the 3rd Cape Town (St. George’s Grammar School) Troop, on 22nd February 1913 (Birthday of B.P., our founder). Whilst in this Troop he earned the WAR SERVICE BADGE (1914-18 war).

On leaving School in 1915, he transferred to 2nd Cape Town (St. Barnabas) Troop, where he gained his “King’s Scout” Badge and Scout Cord. He remained with this Group until 1925, being A.C.M., C.M., and S.M. in turn. In 1924 he attended the Imperial Jamboree at Wembley, as assistant to “Serpent” Rayner (OIC Cape Province Contingent), and whilst in England attended a special Scout Wood Badge Course at Gilwell Park.

In 1925 he transferred to the Claremont Troop (now 1st Claremont), there being only one Troop in Claremont then, as S.M. to become G.S.M. on the introduction of this rank. He saw the building of the first Scout Hall on the present site in Bowwood Road in 1926, and in the same year qualified for the Scout Wood Badge. In 1928 he qualified for the Practical of the Rover Wood Badge, and in 1929 for the Cub Wood Badge.

In 1929, along with five others from 1st Claremont, he attended the Coming-of-Age Jamboree at Arrowe Park, as 01C Cape Western Province Contingent, having 85 Scouters, Rovers and Scouts under his charge, including our present Divisional Commissioner and his Deputy. Whilst in England he attended a Gilwell Reunion at Gilwell Park, and the highlight of the trip was his stay, along with other 0/Cs of Jamboree contingents, at the home of Lord Baden-Powell, “Pax Hill”, where he met and chatted with not only the founder, but all his family.

In 1930 he left 1st Claremont Group to start the present 2nd Claremont. Always being keen on Cubbing he was glad to be a C.M. again, but this pleasure was short-lived, for within 12 months he was obliged to start the Scout Troop and hand the Pack over to his A.C.M.s, to become G.S.M.. a position he held until 1932 when H.Q. thought he could be better used as Asst. Div. Corn. for Wolf Cubs. On leaving 2nd Claremont as a Scouter, he was made a life member of the Group, and remained on the Group Committee for some time. In 1935 he was awarded the Medal of Merit for his services.

He was Asst. Div. Com. (Wolf Cubs) until 1938, when he resigned, intending to have a short break and then return as an A.C.M. or C.M., but this did not materialise, for he was persuaded to take on more and more Church work, as a Lay Preacher and Sub-Deacon, which did not leave him much time for active Scouting. Whilst Asst. Div. Corn. (Wolf Cubs) he was also on the Training Team at Gilcape, assisting at Cub Wood Badge Courses. In 1936 he attended the First S.A. Jamboree, at East London, and in 1937 — as Cub-Scouters were not permitted to accompany the Jamboree Contingent to Holland — he organised a small party of Cub-Scouters to go overseas and attend the Jamboree as visitors.

In 1956 he became an active member of 2nd Claremont Group Committee, and in 1957 was back in uniform as A.C.M. to his old Group. In 1962 he took on the job of Asst. Dist. Corn. for Wolf Cubs, C.W.8, the position he now holds.

He married an ex-Girl Guide, who is a keep supporter of the Scout Movement, and backs him up in his activities therein. They have one son, Graham, who, by coincidence, is in the “Peake Troop” of 2nd Claremont Group, which was named after his father.

From “Sons – Men of the Future”, Official organ of Claremont and District Boy Scouts, Number 3, Winter 1963

Permanent link to this article: